Monday, August 5, 2019

Week 9: July 10-14, 2019

Crew 2: South of Sams Gap Rehab

working with Carolina Mountain Club

click here for the complete photo album

There is nothing like the final week on a project. Seeing all of the work that our crew achieved over the past few months is astonishing.

Countless hours and thousands of sore muscles have gone into rehabbing this section of trail. It instills a great sense of pride walking off the mountain on our final work day and seeing the transformation, knowing that we are responsible.  


We build trail with the goal in mind that it will last 30+ years, How many people have we impacted? How many people will be able to complete this section knowing with confidence that it is well maintained? Will the work still be there when I hike with my future grandchildren? The thought tickles me.

I love the Appalachian Trail, It changed my life in 2016 when I attempted my thru-hike and has continued to remain a huge positive influence in my life. I know for a fact that it has change the lives of many others. I am absolutely honored to have the opportunity to play my part.

We had an incredible time on the mountain this week, despite the rain. Our crew blended well together, enjoying card games and FROZEN ice cream (AT CAMP, IN THE WOODS), riddles, jokes and smores over the camp fire. The Carolina mountain club came out to join us in the fun on Friday and took us out for pizza Saturday night at the original Papa Nicks pizza in Mars Hill North Carolina.

Although we were fatigued and stinky we decided to stop at Backbone rock and have a nice swim in the river before grabbing lunch at the Damascus Diner, right off the AT. The countdown has begun folks, only 3 crew weeks remain in Konnarocks season! Visit the Appalachian conservancy website for information on how you can become part of the team!


--Paul Sealy, Assistant Crew Leader


No comments: